Visualize your perfect writing summer.
- When Labor Day rolls around, what will you have accomplished?
- What obstacles might impede your success?
- How will you overcome them?
- What resources, skills, or connections do you need to reach your goals?
- What leaps of faith are required of you?
Write a letter to yourself detailing what you hope to accomplish in your writing practice this summer. Explain why these goals are important. List the potential obstacles and how you plan to overcome them. Detail how you will attract those resources, skills, and connections and what leaps of faith you need to make to carry out your plan. Commit to your plan. Describe how you will feel once you have achieved this success.
Keep your list of goals posted where you will see it each day. Give someone you trust a sealed copy of your letter in a stamped envelope. Have the person mail you the letter at the beginning of September so you can measure your progress.